Traffic jam on toast … it’s the Christmas clog in Sydney – The Daily Telegraph

ABANDON hope, all ye festive holiday-makers, the Christmas traffic chaos begins now.

Source: www.dailytelegraph.com.au

Looks like a lot of the Sydney population go on holiday early. I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on this problem lately about New Zealand roads. The NZ Transport Agency has also been doing a lot of work on identifying peak times and on Monday, they will have Infographics on their Current Highway Conditions website http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/current-conditions/index.html, which will allow people to identify the dates and times that they should travel based on peak vehicle numbers and the capacity of the most popular routes to take them.

A really interesting factoid is that in Christchurch on Christmas Day 2500 cars cross the Waimakariri bridge between 11AM and 12PM. It’s not a problem, that is within capacity for the State Highway, its just a unique condition where the Christmas Dinner (lunch) is part of the Kiwi traditional way of life.

Another interesting fact from research suggests that despite the severe congestion 40% of motorists never check real time travel information before they leave. On the other hand, 60% say that if they had travel information they would change their travel plans, such as delaying their journey or taking a different route, such as one of the suggestions in this article.

There are of course loads of ways you can get travel information, the question is more about whether you look for it or are confronted by it, before it is too late.

Do you look for travel information before you go, or do you just go sit in the holiday parking lot and complain that someone should do something about it?

See on Scoop.itLocation Is Everywhere

Advertisements

About Luigi Cappel

Writer for hire, marketing consultant specialising in Location Based Services. Futurist and Public Speaker Auckland, New Zealand
This entry was posted in Christmas Dinner, holiday traffic, traffic congestion, Traffic Information and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s